To Make the Chicken
- In a large stockpot that can fit a whole chicken, add water enough to cover the whole chicken together with pandan leaves and salt. Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Next, wash the chicken, drain well, and stuff ginger and scallion into the chicken’s cavity.
- Submerge the whole chicken in the stockpot, breast side down. Bring to a full boil and then lower the heat to a gentle simmer, lid on, for 10 minutes only.
- After 10 minutes, turn the heat off, and let the chicken remain in the pot of water for 40 minutes with the lid on.
- After 40 minutes, remove the chicken and place gently into the bowl of water with ice for 10 mins. Retain chicken stock*.
- Drain the chicken, discard ginger and scallion from the cavity and set it aside to cool before chopping it neatly into desired serving size.
To Make the Rice
- Heat oil in wok, fry chopped shallots, garlic and ginger until fragrant and golden in colour. Add rice and stir well. Transfer the rice mixture to the rice cooker.
- Add in chicken broth stock, pandan leaves and salt into rice mixture. Mix well and press ”cook”. When rice is cook. Fluff rice with a ladle.
To Make Chicken Rice Soy Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix all ‘Chicken Rice Soy Sauce’ ingredients together.
To Make Chicken Rice Chilli Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix all ‘Chicken Rice Chilli Sauce’ ingredients together.
- Place a bowl of rice on a plate and line the serving plate with cucumber slices.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of the rice, and pour the prepared Chicken Rice Soy Sauce over. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve alongside the side soup* and chicken rice chili sauce. Your Hainanese chicken rice is ready!
- Any left over chicken broth can be served as side soup, garnish with chopped spring onions or coriander.