- Prepare a bowl and put sliced squid with sweet soy sauce, mirin, rice wine vinegar, ground pepper and salt. Mix all together and set aside to marinate for 1 hr.
- Soak 1 cup of rice in rice wine vinegar and water for 1 hr.
- Add oil and saute grated ginger and turmeric in a small casserole dish and over medium heat.
- Drain rice (reserving the water) and add to the casserole and saute until it turns into yellow. Season with a pinch of salt and honey.
- Add the water and allow to cook for 10 mins or until ready.
- When the rice is ready, let it cool and roll into balls and then coat in black sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok or pan over medium-high heat, then add some vegetable oil.
- Saute garlic and fresh chillies for 1 min.
- Remove the squid from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Add the squid, peppercorns and dried chillies and quickly stir fry, then set aside.
- For the sauce, add the reserved marinade, star anise and water into the pan. Bring to the boil and cook until it thickens.
- To serve, plate the rice balls and squid. Drizzle some of the sauce on top of the squid and sprinkle with spring onions. Enjoy.