- In a large bowl, sieve in rice flour. Mix in salt until well combined. Add water into the flour mixture and stir with whisk until well combined.
- Prepare the syrup by putting in sugar, pandan leaves and water into a pot. Bring to a gentle boil for 5 mins. Stir occasionally and ensure it does not get burnt. Discard the pandan leaves and slowly pour the syrup through a sieve into the rice flour mixture. Stir often to obtain a smooth mixture without lumps.
- In a separate bowl, put in yeast and dissolve it with water. Set aside for 5 mins until it bubbles. Then, pour the yeast into the rice flour mixture and stir to mix well. Add oil and mix well. Cling wrap the bowl and set aside at warm temperature for at least 2 hrs until the mixture bubbles.
- Lightly oil a 20cm stainless steel plate. Prepare a steamer and bring water to a rolling boil. Stir the rice flour mixture well and pour into the plate. Place the plate into the steamer and ensure it is levelled. Cover the plate with aluminium foil and steam for 20 mins. To test if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake. It is ready if the toothpick comes out clear.
- Remove the plate from the steamer and remove the aluminium foil. Allow the steamed rice cake to cool before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.