- Grate ginger and then grate onion in a large bowl.
- Then add all the ingredients for teriyaki sauce into the same bowl. Set aside.
- Using a fork, prick both sides of the chicken so that more flavours are absorbed.
- Cut the excess skin and fat off the chicken and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Place the chicken skin side down to sear the chicken skin first.
- Flip the chicken to the other side when skin is golden brown, and then add sake. Cover with the lid and simmer the chicken over medium low heat for about 8-10 mins.
- Remove lid and transfer the chicken to a plate. Wipe off excess grease from the pan with a paper towel.
- Heat ½ tbsp of oil and place the chicken back in the pan, skin side down, for about 1 min.
- Flip the chicken and pour in the prepared teriyaki sauce. Spoon the sauce over the chicken frequently, and simmer until sauce reduces by half. Turn off the heat once the alcohol from sake and mirin evaporates, sugar crystalizes and the sauce thickens.