To Prep the Filling
- In a frying pan or wok, combine all ingredients except fried onions and cook for about 15 mins over medium-high heat.
- Then, add fried onions and cook a further 5 mins.
- Preparing the dough:
For Dough 1
- Using a mixer, combine all Dough 1 ingredients and knead at medium-high speed for about 4-5 mins. Set aside.
For Dough 2
- Then, combine ingredients for Dough 2 in the mixing bowl, and knead at medium-high speed for 1-2 mins. The texture should be quite firm. Do not over knead.
To Make the Siew Pao
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Portion Dough 2 into 3cm balls, and Dough 1 into 6cm balls. Individually wrap Dough 2 balls in Dough 1, then use a rolling pin to roll into an oblong strip. Roll up the strip of dough, turn 90° and roll out again with a rolling pin. Repeat 2-3 times for a flakier texture to the pastry. Roll up into a cylinder, then turn on its side and flatten into a round shape with rolling pin.
- Fill dough with 2 tsps filling, gather the edges to the center to wrap around the filling, and seal the edges.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 mins at 200°C, then remove and brush with egg yolk and milk mixture. Return to oven for another 10 mins. Remove and serve.