- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Trim off any excess fat from the pork shoulder and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Combine ground coffee, Chinese five-spice powder, brown sugar, salt and white pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture over the pork shoulder till it’s coated entirely.
- Place pork shoulder onto a wire rack and over a baking tray.
- Add 3 cups chicken stock to the baking tray, then, place in the oven.
- Roast pork shoulder for 100-110 mins (roughly about 40 mins per 500g meat) or until the internal meat temperature reaches 62°C. Use a meat thermometer with a probe to check the internal temperature.
- Remove pork from the oven and let it rest for about 30-40 mins.
To Prepare the Gravy
- Drain off the remaining pork drippings through a sieve into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat and add ¼ cup chicken stock and white pepper. Once it starts to bubbles, add in flour to thicken.
To Prepare Roasted Carrots
- While the pork is resting, crank up the oven temperature to 200°C.
- Coat carrots and with olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and black pepper.
- Place carrots onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 30 mins.