- To prepare the soy sauce glaze, add the ingredients for the glaze into a small pot. Cook the mixture over low heat and stir continually until it thickens. Be careful not to burn the glaze. Set aside until needed.
- Mix the black glutinous rice flour and rice flour together. Add a few drops of water and stir. Add more water until the mixture comes together.
- Place the glutinous rice flour, rice flour and sugar into a bowl and mix.
- Add the water a little at a time and knead the dough until it becomes smooth. If it’s too watery, add more flour.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Shape one ball into a long log and cut into small pieces (for the eyebrows).
- Shape the remaining balls into dog heads and flattened round balls (paws).
- Using the glutinous black rice mixture, shape the dough into the paws. Attach using a little bit of water.
- Bring water to a boil in a pot. Add the dumplings to the water. When they float to the top, let them continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Scoop up and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Skewer the dumplings with the bamboo sticks.
- Using scissors, cut out mouths and noses from the nori sheet.
- Brush the dango with the soy sauce glaze. Using a toothpick, add the black sesame seeds for eyes and the cut out noses and mouths.
- Enjoy your new year mitarashi dango!
- NOTE: You can grill your dango before brushing on the soy sauce glaze. Grill the dango until it is slightly charred on either side.