- In a large mixing bowl, add the ribs and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Stir through to coat, then allow to marinate for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Fry the ribs at 180°C for 2 mins, then remove and allow to drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Clear the wok, then heat up 1 tbsp of oil. Add the spring onion and ginger and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the spring onions and ginger into a pot. Place the ribs on top. Add in the remaining soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, Chinese black vinegar, star anise, clove, pepper, five spice powder and enough water to just cover the ribs.
- Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 90 mins.
- Add tomato sauce and rock sugar, and keep simmering until the meat is tender.
- Serve and enjoy.