To Prep Sauce
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together. Taste and alter accordingly.
To Prep Vegetables
- Top and tail vegetables if necessary. Cut capsicums, carrots and cucumbers into ½cm pieces.
To Cook the Vegetables
- Mix cornflour, plain flour and baking soda with 2 chopsticks held together, in large bowl.
- Mix egg yolk and soda water together till frothy.
- Mix soda mixture and flour mixture together with chopsticks until all mixed; a few lumps don’t matter.
- Place the bowl onto an ice bath to keep the batter cool during the cooking process.
- Heat oil till it starts to slightly bubble.
- Place veggies in batter one variety at a time and skim off the excess batter.
- They should sizzle as soon as they enter. Let them cook till just golden, before taking out and placing on a paper towel. Repeat for the rest of the veggies.
- Plate the tempura on to a plate and add edible flowers, chilli and preserved Asian ginger to garnish. Enjoy!