To Make Smoky Spicy Vegan “Salmon”
- Wash and peel carrots. Use peeler and slice carrots into thin strips.
- Fill half a saucepan with water and bring to boil. Toss in carrot strips and boil for 3 mins. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients for the Smoky Spicy Vegan ‘Salmon’ together and pour into cooked carrot strips. Mix well, cover and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove from refrigerator and allow marinated carrots to reach room temperature, then chop them up into big chunks.
- Mix all Spicy Sauce ingredients together and add in half of the spicy sauce to the chopped carrots and mix until well combined. Leave the rest of the spicy sauce aside for later use.
To Prepare Vegan Spicy Salmon Hand Roll
- Mix cooked sushi rice and sushi seasoning together with a wooden rice paddle while rice is still warm. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Wrap a sushi mat with cling wrap on both sides and seal the sides.
- Prepare a bowl of water on the side. Wet your fingers each time before handling sushi rice.
- Place a nori sheet on sushi mat, spread one portion of sushi rice evenly onto the nori sheet covering the entire sheet leaving about ½ an inch from the edges uncovered with rice.
- Sprinkle rice with sesame seeds.
- Carefully flip nori over so the rice with sesame seeds side is facing down.
- Place some spicy smoky salmon carrots about 1 inch from the edge of the rice from left to right. Then, place some cucumber strips, avocado slices and sprinkle some chopped spring onions and panko crumbs on top.
- Holding the sushi mat, use index and middle fingers from both hands tucking the ingredients under the mat, start rolling from bottom till the entire sushi roll is concealed. Continue rolling till you reach the end of the sushi mat.
- Unwrap the sushi mat and roll the sushi roll into the centre and and rewrap the sushi mat to tighten the sushi roll.
- Wet a paper towel and wipe your knife before slicing the sushi roll into halves and cut 3 portions from each half. Wipe your knife each time before slicing.
- Place sushi on serving dish and drizzle a teaspoon of spicy sauce over each piece. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and serve with some wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce.