To Prepare Roti Dough
- In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in warm water.
- In a separate larger bowl, add flour and margarine, and slowly pinch together with your fingertips rubbing the margarine into the flour.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in a beaten egg and about 1/3 of the sugar and saltwater mixture. Stir in slowly with a spatula then continue pouring in the remaining water into the mixture until it forms a sticky dough.
- Slightly flour work surface with some flour and turn dough over.
- Knead dough for about 10 mins until smooth and elastic (you may use a mixer attached with the dough hook for this step).
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions and form them into balls. Coat each with some margarine. Place into a lightly greased container, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator to rest overnight.
To Prepare Ajat (Thai cucumber relish)
- Heat sugar, vinegar and salt in a small saucepan for 3-4 mins until sugar and salt have dissolved. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Place sliced cucumber, sliced shallot and chilli in a small bowl. Pour cooled vinegar mixture in and let it sit for 30 mins (this can also be done the day before).
To Prepare Plant-based Beef Filling
- Heat up cooking oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add in onion and stir to cook for about 5 mins or until onion is soft or turned translucent (stir often to avoid burning).
- Add in garlic, ginger and chilli and continue cooking for 1 min.
- Add in Valcom Yellow Curry Paste and stir until well mixed. Toss in the plant-based beef and cook on high heat. Stir often until meat browns.
- Add in 2/3 cup of water and reduce to low heat letting beef simmer for about 15-20 mins until the water has completely evaporated.
- Season with salt and leave it to cool.
- Stir in beaten eggs and coriander and mix well.
To Make Roti
- Bring dough balls back to room temperature.
- Lightly coat work surface with some oil and take 1 dough ball and flatten with your palm or fingers until about 2mm in thickness. Repeat this process with each dough to avoid dough sticking on work surface.
- Place a portion of the plant-based beef filling in the centre of the flattened dough. Envelope fold to cover the beef filling. Place completed beef parcels on an oiled tray.
- Heat up a large frying pan and cooking oil up to 1cm up the side. Cook roti in batches for 5 mins on each side or until golden brown over medium heat.
- Drain excess oil on paper towel and cut when its cooled. Serve with ajat.