- Use kitchen towel to pat dry the fish thoroughly. Water left on the fish will cause oil to spit.
- Make 2 deep slits into the flesh of the fish on both sides, making sure not to cut all the way down to the bone.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat. The amount of oil should cover the fish completely.
- Deep fry the fish until golden brown and cooked through. Remove fish from the oil and place on a kitchen towel to drain.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of the deep frying oil in a medium size saucepan and add garlic, ginger, chilli and spring onions, fry until fragrant.
- Add Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, fish sauce, palm sugar syrup, rice vinegar and white pepper. Stir well and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Serve fish on an oval platter and scatter with half the coriander. Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with spring onions and the remaining coriander.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.