- In a food processor, combine egg yolks, castor sugar and vanilla essence.
- Heat milk until warm to hot, and add to food processor.
- Transfer mixture to a stainless steel bowl which will fit tightly over a saucepan ¼ filled with boiling water.
- Turn the saucepan down to a gentle simmer and whisk mixture continuously until it coats the back of a spoon, or reduces by one-third.
- Cool bowl over a sink filled with ice water.
- Whip the cream until thick and mix in the coconut milk powder.
- Add the ice cream base and combine well. Taste and adjust.
- Place in an ice cream maker and churn.
- Hint: If you do not have an ice cream maker, place the mixture in a tray in the freezer. When the ice cream starts to crystallise around the edges, place in the food processor and blend for 1 min; then return to the tray and freeze. Let the ice cream stand for 5 mins before scooping.