To Prep Stuffing
- In a mixing bowl, mash up the pork mince with all ingredients except the spring onions. Combine well.
- Add in the white part of the chopped spring onions. Mix well.
To Make Topping
- In a frying pan, heat up 1 tbsp of oil and sauté minced garlic, minced ginger, sliced lemongrass, chopped shallots and lastly the remaining chopped chillies till slightly brown.
- Add in the green part of spring onion, stir for a few secs. Add fish sauce, light soy sauce, a dash of pepper and stir for 30 secs. Remove and keep aside.
To Make Stuffed Squids
- Remove the tentacles from the squid’s body and clean out the guts and plastic like backbone from the tube. Dig out the eyes and beak from the tentacles as well as the tiny suction cups if any. Leave the skin (purple layer) on.
- Stuff the pork mince mix into the squid tubes to about 80% full (pork mince will expand when steamed) and using some tooth picks secure the opening. Steam the stuffed squid tubes on medium heat for 15-20 mins.
- Heat up a grill pan with a tsp of oil and grill the tentacles till they turned opaque and slightly brown, remove and set aside. Take the steamed squid tubes from the steamer and place them on the grill pan and cook them till grill lines appear. Turn them over and grill the other side till grill lines show. Sliced the squid tubes to about 2.5cm thick and place them on plate together with cooked tentacles.
- Drizzle topping onto sliced squid tubes.
- Garnish with cut chillies, coriander and lemon or lime wedges.
- For remaining minced pork, you can pan fry them with some oil and serve as a side dish.