- Rub the chicken breast with the rice wine vinegar and set aside until required.
- Heat oil in a small deep-sided saucepan, add in the sliced ginger and shallots. Stir-fry until lightly browned, then add the palm sugar, cinnamon, star anise and cloves.
- When the sugar caramelises, add the chicken breast and brown on all sides. Add the dark soy sauce, salt and enough water to cover half of the chicken.
- Remove from heat; Simmer uncovered in a 180°C oven for 20 mins, turning often. Add a little water if the sauce reduces too quickly.
- Remove the chicken when cooked and slice each breast into 4 pieces. Skim away all the fat from the surface of the sauce. Serve the sliced chicken with steaming hot rice and a bowl of the strained sauce