- Lay half of the fresh ginger strips on a steaming tray, then place the fishes over.
- Place the remaining fresh ginger strips on top of the fish and inside the gills.
- Scatter the mushrooms on top of the fishes.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Boil water in a wok or steamer.
- Place the steaming tray with the fishes into the wok and steam for approximately 12 mins.
- Use a chopstick to poke through the flesh. If it goes through the fish, then the fish is cooked. Else, steam for a few more mins.
- Pour the sauce over the fish. Continue to steam for 1 min then turn the heat off.
- Remove the tray from the wok, drizzle the garlic oil, and sprinkle with chopped spring onions. Serve immediately.