Preparing the Green Layer
- First extract the pandan juice by finely blending 15-20 pandan leaves with 300ml of water. Strain the blended mixture to get 300ml of pandan juice.
- Make a simple sugar syrup by mixing the sugar, salt and plain water in a pot and bringing it to a boil, making sure all the sugar and salt has dissolved.
- Then, combine the pandan juice with the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix in the hot sugar syrup into the green mixture while stirring constantly.
- Then strain the mixture into a metal mixing bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, reducing the heat to medium when it does. Set the mixing bowl with the green mixture over the pot and cook until it has thickened. Remove from heat and mix until smooth.
- Pour the thickened mixture into a greased 20cm baking tin and steam over medium heat for 15 mins. Try to make an uneven surface to help the two layers stick to each other.
Preparing the White layer
- Combine the coconut milk, rice flour, green bean flour and salt. Then, slowly pour in the hot water gradually while stirring constantly.
- Once smooth, strain the mixture into a metal mixing bowl.
- Repeat the same cooking process as with the green mixture.
- Pour the white mixture on top of the steamed green layer and steam over medium heat for 15 mins.
- Set aside to cool, and serve. Make sure to cut the Kuih Talam with a greased knife as it is quite sticky.