- To pickle the vegetables, combine all the ingredients and set aside
- To make the dipping sauce, pound garlic and chillies with sugar. Combine all ingredients and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Wet bean vermicelli under the tap, drain and set aside.
- Remove wood ear fungus from water and chop them up finely.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well, in one direction.
- Place the spring roll pastry on the bench with one corner pointing at you and one corner pointing away from you.
- Add a tablespoonful of the filling on the pastry in the corner closest to you. Bring the pastry over the filling and roll it tightly to enclose the filling. Bring in the two sides to meet in the middle. Dab a little bit of paste on the end and roll the spring roll to the end.
- Heat oil to 180 degrees Celsius. Deep fry the spring rolls until golden brown. Serve wrapped with lettuce and herbs, dipped in a Vietnamese dipping sauce and side of pickled vegetables.
- Spring rolls can be made in advance and kept frozen until required. To be cooked frozen in hot oil @ 190c.
- Vietnamese dipping sauce can be prepared in bulk and kept refrigerated for up to three weeks if cool boiled water is used.