- Wash your shrimp and butterfly them to remove the vein.
- Add the oil to a pot and heat up on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and stir fry until golden brown. Remove the garlic from the pot and set aside for later. Leave the oil in the pot.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and stir fry until they turn pink.
- Add water to the pot and increase the heat to high to bring the water to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium low when the water begins to boil. Skim off any scum that rises to the top.
- Season the soup with the fish sauce, sugar, tamarind powder, chicken bouillon and salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and taro stems to the soup and cook until they are done.
- Portion the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the fried garlic, Thai basil and chilli slices before serving.