For the Runny Yolk Egg
- Boil the eggs with cold water (water level should just cover the egg), once the water starts to boil, let it boil for another 30 secs then turn the heat down. Keep the eggs in water for another 2-3 mins.
- Boil the eggs by adding cold water to cover the eggs. Once when the water starts to boil turn the heat down a bit.
- Once when water starts to boil, let it boil for 3 mins.
- For hard boiled eggs, let the eggs boil for 5 mins from the time the water starts to boil, not when you turn on the heat.
- After the egg is boiled, pour the hot water out. Run the eggs under cold water for a few seconds and let them sit in a pot of cold water. When the eggs are cooled, peel them.
For the Egg
- Heat up the wok, add ⅓ cup of oil.
- Make sure your wok is hot before adding the boiled eggs in otherwise, they may stick to your wok. Dry the eggs with kitchen paper before putting into oil.
- Add the eggs in and turn them to brown the white.
- When done, drain the eggs out from oil and set aside. Turn down the heat.
- Add dried chilli peppers if you prefer serve it hot. Quickly fry the chillies for a few seconds, do not fry it too dark, then scoop out the fried chillies and set aside.
- Use medium or medium low heat, use the oil to fry the sliced shallots. Add in more oil if required. Stir to brown the shallots evenly. It will take 5-7 mins, and then drain the shallot from oil and set aside.
For the Sauce
- Drain all the oil out from the wok.
- Use low heat; add palm sugar, fish sauce, water and tamarind.
- Mix them together to dissolve sugar and tamarind.
- You might want to add a few more tablespoons of water thin the sauce.
- Taste to see if you need to adjust the sauce. The 3 flavours, sweet, salty and sour should be in balance.
- When the sauce is cooled, the taste will be more pronounced.
- The sauce will get thicker as it cools down as well.
- Halve the eggs and place them on a serving plate. Pour the sauce over the eggs. Sprinkle fried shallots and fried peppers. Place a few sprigs of coriander on top.
- Serve warm or room temperature with rice.