- Blend pandan leaves pieces with a dash of water to extract 1½ tbsp of pandan juice.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, pandan juice and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Beat the eggs gently and add in to the bowl, then mix well.
- Sieve the coconut milk and egg mixture for lump-free custard.
- In a large pot, fill ⅓ with water, and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and place mixing bowl into the pot; using the double-boil technique to cook the pandan kaya.
- When the mixture starts to thicken after cooking for about 5 mins, turn to medium-low heat and continue cooking for another 5-8 mins. Then, turn to low heat and cover with a lid. Tie a piece of cloth over the lid to absorb access water from condensation. Cook for 1 hr.
- In a separate saucepan, heat ingredients for caramel over low heat until sugar starts to melt. Add 1 tsp hot water and continue to cook until golden brown. Do not over stir.
- Add caramel to kaya. Using a balloon whisk, mix well and whisk until kaya is smooth. Then, set aside to cool.
- Fill kaya into clean jars and keep refrigerated. Always use a clean, dry spoon to take out desired portion for consumption, and return jar to refrigerator immediately.