- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Saute the lemongrass, pandan leaves, ginger, and shallots in a pot until fragrant.
- Add the water and coconut milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Add a couple pinches of salt and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the cleaned rice into a rice cooker pot together with the ingredients mentioned above.
Preparing the Sambal
- Deep fry the half anchovies until crisp and golden.
- In the frying oil on low heat, add in the chilli paste, minced onions, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Next, mix in the tamarind paste and the rest of the anchovies and allow the sambal to cook over low heat.
- Finally, add salt and sugar to taste.
- Prepare a hard-boiled egg.
- Scoop the cooked rice into a rice bowl, then cover with a plate. Then, flip over the plate and remove the rice bowl. Place the egg on or next to the rice.
- Add a tbsp each of the fried anchovies, fried peanuts, and sambal. Garnish with a few slices of cucumber. Serve hot.