To Prepare Salted Egg Yolk Filling
- Prepare steamer and steam salted egg yolks for 10 mins. Allow to cool then mash into fine crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together salted egg yolk crumbs, butter, condensed milk, milk and custard powder until it becomes a smooth paste-like texture.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or until set.
- After the mixture has set, use a teaspoon to divide the filling into 15 equal portions (about 11g per portion). Scoop salted egg yolk cream and drop it onto a lined tray. Freeze for 1hr or until ready to assemble.
To Prepare Custard
- Prepare steamer and steam fresh salted egg yolks for 10 mins. Allow to cool and mash into fine crumbs (can steam together with the salted egg yolks used for the Salted Egg Yolk Filling).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and cake flour until pale and fluffy with no visible lumps.
- In a saucepan, heat and stir the heavy cream and butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and the cream starts to bubble but not boiling, carefully pour it into the egg mixture parts at a time and whisk as you pour. Add in milk powder, salted egg yolk crumbs, granulated sugar and vanilla after each addition.
- Once well mixed, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat stirring with a spatula continuously but not vigorously. Scrape the side and bottom of the pan to avoid custard from burning.
- Continue to scrape and fold the custard for about 10-15 mins until the custard slides easily from the spatula, then remove from stove.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool about 10 mins then cover bowl with cling wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 1hr.
- Divide custard into 15 equal portions (about 25g per portion) and roll into balls onto a tray. Cover and chill until ready to assemble.
To Prepare Pastry
- Prepare pastry only when both salted egg yolk and custard balls are well chilled/frozen.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together honey, condensed milk and softened butter until well combined.
- With a spatula, fold in cake flour and cornflour until it forms a dough. Using your hands, gather the dough and form a square block.
- Divide into 15 equal portions (about 32g per portion). Roll each portion into a ball and place onto a tray, cover with cling wrap until you are ready to assemble. Do not chill.
Assembling Salted Egg Yolk Mooncake
- Prepare a 50g mooncake punch mould.
- Take one ball of custard and flatten it. Then place a frozen salted egg yolk ball inside and close the edges to seal. Roll into a ball. (Tip: you can freeze for 1hr or overnight as this will help when wrapping with pastry).
- After the custard and salted egg yolk ball ball has been frozen, place inside a flattened pastry ball and seal well. With both of your palms, roll the pastry and custard ball into a cylinder and slot it into the mooncake punch.
- Arrange completed mooncakes onto a lined tray. Chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- For the egg wash, lightly beat 1 whole egg and brush over the top and sides of the mooncake just before baking.
- Bake for 3 mins then take out the mooncakes and brush a second coat of egg wash over the top and sides, before sending them back into the oven for another 10 mins.
- Serve warm for best results.
- Note: Test bake 2 or 3 mooncakes to familiarise the hot spots in your oven to prevent burning the mooncake