To Make the Ice Cream
- Combine cream and milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg yolks, palm sugar and mirin till the mixture is pale and the palm sugar has dissolved.
- Slowly add the heated milk mixture to the egg yolk, sugar and mirin mixture while beating on a slow speed. Once combined, transfer the liquid back into the saucepan and stir constantly with a spoon over a low heat.
- Once the custard mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, turn off the heat and allow to cool in the refrigerator. When the mixture is chilled, add the fresh mint and black sesame seeds and transfer to an ice-cream maker. Follow the instructions for the ice-cream maker.
To Make the Birds’ Nest
- Heat the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan to a simmer. Add the soba noodles to the simmering coconut milk and allow to soften for 4-5 mins.
- Using a sieve, drain the coconut milk from the noodles.
- Pre-heat an oven to 180°C (fan-forced).
- To create the bird’s nests, take the noodles and spread them in a network fashion on the outside of 7 or 8 rounded silicone muffin moulds.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 mins or until the noodles have dried and have a light brown crispy texture.
- Allow the nests to cool and carefully separate them from the mould.
- Once the ice-cream has fully set, place a scoop or two into a crispy coconut soba birds’ nest.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Serve and enjoy!