To Make Main Dough
- In a mixing bowl, whisk bread flour, cake flour, salt, sugar and yeast to mix well.
- Add in the egg, milk and water. Use an electric mixer with dough hook to knead on low speed until the dough come together, with the sides of the bowl clean.
- Add the butter and continue kneading on low speed until well combined with the dough. Change the speed to medium, knead until the dough is silky and smooth.
- With your hand, form the dough into a ball by pulling the edges of the dough downwards to the bottom center. The dough ball will have a smooth surface, then pinch the bottom together.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, seam facing down, proof covered at a warm place for 1-2 hrs or until it doubles in size.
- Transfer the dough on a clean floured surface, press to deflate. Fold ⅓ in from the left, then ⅓ in from the right.
- Flip over and shape the dough into a ball. Turn the dough clockwise continuously with both hands, sealing the seam with work surface.
- Weigh the dough and divide into 10 equal portions, making sure each weigh the same. Knead each portion and shape into balls, pulling down the sides to the bottom. Place onto lined tray, cover with cling wrap and rest for 15 mins at room temperature.
- Flatten each dough with hand and fold in ⅓ from left and ⅓ from right. Pinch both ends together to form a ball. Pull the edges down to form a smooth ball, keeping the seam at the bottom.
To Make Biscuit Dough
- Add butter and sugar into a large bowl and mix until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the beaten egg in small portions, blend well before adding more. Mix until all eggs are added and well combined.
- Sift in the cake flour and baking powder, mix until well incorporated. Remove and form a ball.
- Weigh the dough and divide into 10 equal portions, making sure each weigh the same. Roll each into balls and place onto lined baking tray. Cover the tray with cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 10 mins.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten each dough with hand and roll into 10-12cm flat circles with a rolling pin.
To Make Melon Pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Wrap the flat biscuit dough onto the main dough ball, seal all edges at the bottom.
- Coat the surface with caster sugar, gently remove excess sugar. Score the surface with a knife, making a crisscross pattern.
- Place the doughs on lined baking tray, proof covered for 50 mins in a warm place, or until it gets 1½ size bigger.
- Bake for 10 mins, then rotate the tray and bake for 3-5 mins to get all buns evenly browned. Remove and transfer to wire rack. Let cool.