Making the dough
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre and add in the egg. Mix the egg with the flour.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix. Add more water as needed to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until elastic. Pick up the dough and throw onto the work surface 10 times in between kneading the dough. Do this 3-4 times throughout kneading.
- Divide the dough into 4. Place into 4 bowls and wrap each with cling wrap. Set aside and allow to rest for at least 1 hr.
Making the broth
- In a large pot, add the anchovies and water. Bring the water to boil over high heat.
- Once boiled, turn the heat to medium and let simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the anchovies with a sieve or a slotted spoon. Season with salt, white pepper and sugar to taste.
Meat and Mushroom Topping
- Heat a pan over high heat. Once hot, add the oil and fry the garlic and meat. When the meat is almost cooked, add the mushroom.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, thick caramel sauce, sugar, salt, sesame oil and white pepper. Stir to combine well. Once cooked, add the water, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside.
Cooking the Noodles
- Flour pasta machine and work surface. Starting at the highest setting on your pasta machine, roll out your dough. Fold dough in half and roll out again. Gradually lower setting until your dough is about 2-3mm in thickness.
- Cut dough into fettucine-sized strands using your pasta machine or a sharp knife. Toss your noodles into a bowl with flour.
- Over high heat, bring a pot of water to boil and add your noodles, cooking a handful at a time.
- Once the noodles float, let it cook for 1-2 more minutes (depending on the thickness and size). Remove cooked noodles with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add noodles, bok choy and soup into a bowl. Top with meat and mushroom and fried anchovies. Serve immediately.