- Rinse chicken under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Using a sharp knife, cut five 1cm-deep slashes across the top of each maryland.
- Combine chilli powder, turmeric, palm sugar, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl. Mix until a smooth paste forms. Rub mixture over chicken. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hrs, if time permits.
To Make the Sauce
- Process chillies, candlenuts, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, sugar, galangal, lemongrass, tamarind puree, coriander and onion in a food processor until combined.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook the mixture on medium heat for 3 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut cream and cook, stirring for 15-20 mins. Season and adjust the flavour to your liking. You can add more chillies for extra spice. Set aside.
- Grill chicken over BBQ or chargrill on medium heat for 25-30 mins or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice 3 times. Drain. Add the coconut milk, water, salt and pandan leaf. Bring to the boil. Cover and turn to a low heat until liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat.
- Serve chicken and top with sauce, rice, cucumber, lime and tomatoes. Sprinkle some toasted coconut on the rice. Decorate with edible flowers.