- Mix 150g sugar with coconut milk, whisk till sugar dissolved.
- Add in beaten eggs, stir to combine well, set aside.
- Heat 100g sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium to low heat till sugar melts and become syrupy and golden in colour. Take care not to burn sugar, lower flame if required.
- Pour sugar syrup into egg and coconut milk mixture. Syrup will curdle (it is normal) in mixture. Stir till syrup dissolved and mixed in the mixture.
- Sift mixture into another stainless steel bowl (will use this bowl to double boil). Then add in pandan leaves.
- Double boil the stainless steel bowl mixture in a pot filled with boiling water, stir kaya mixture every 1-2 mins. Discard pandan leaves after half hour.
- To achieve desired thickness will take about an hour of cooking.
- Turn off heat, leave to cool completely before storing in a clean dry jar.
- Your Malaysian Kaya is ready!