For the Bottom Layer
- Prepare banana leaves by cutting 8x9cm rectangles and folding into little “boats”. Fasten with either staplers or wooden toothpicks. Set aside.
- To prepare for the bottom layer, you will need to get the extract from the pandan leaves. To do this, simply blend the pandan leaves with the water in a blender then strain to get the extract. If you are unable to get pandan leaves, store bought pandan extract will be fine. Place pandan extract into a pot, sift flour in and stir until well mixed.
- In a pot, stir the rice flour into the pandan extract until smooth. Over medium heat, continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Arrange the banana boats onto a steaming rack and put 1 tsp of sugar in each boat. Then spoon the pandan extract mixture into each boat until about just over half full and steam for about 10-15 minutes and check to make sure the bottom later is set.
For the Top Layer
- In separate pot, combine all ingredients while stirring over low heat until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Then fill the boats the rest of the way with the top layer mixture.
- Steam for another 10 minutes then remove from heat and allow your kuih pelita to cool before serving.