- Marinate meat in bulgogi marinade in a bowl for at least 30 mins.
- Saute onions in a heated pan with 1 tbsp oil for about 1 min, do not caramelize onions, keep white colour. Set aside.
- Saute carrots in a heated pan with 1 tbsp oil for about 1 min. Carrots shouldn’t be too soft. Set aside.
- Stir fry meat in a heated pan until meat is cooked, about 2-3 mins. Set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in a heated pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1½ tbsp soy sauce and a sprinkling of ground pepper for about 1 min. Set aside.
- Mix spinach with 1 tbsp sesame oil, ¼ tsp minced garlic and season with salt. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp oil and make a thin egg white omelette. Set aside. Repeat with egg yolk. Cut omelettes into thin strips.
- Bring a big pot of water to a rapid boil. Add 2 tsp salt. Add the dried noodles and cook for about 5 mins or until al dente. Drain and do not wash noodles with water.
- Add 1-2 tbsp oil to a heated pan and add cooked noodles. Stir quickly and then add 3-4 tbsp soy sauce and 2½ -3 tbsp sugar. Mix to combine. Take noodles off the heat. Put noodles in a large bowl.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of sesame oil to noodles and season with salt and ¼ tsp ground pepper. Add extra soy sauce and sugar if needed. When the noodles have cooled down, add the rest of the ingredients that have been set aside and mix well. Put japchae on a serving plate or bowl and top with thin slices of egg omelette.
- Note: Once the sweet potato noodles are cooked and drained, it should be stir fried in oil, soy and sugar mixture quickly. However, once this is done, the rest of the ingredients can be added and mixed closer to serving.