- Grease 2 large plates or trays and set aside.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl and mix until they are well combined.
- Divide the paste into 10-15 equal-sized pieces and roll in to ball shapes. Place them on one greased plate or tray and cover with cling wrap.
- Sieve the flours into a large mixing bowl and mix together before adding the butter and hot water and kneading to make one large piece of dough.
- Divide the dough into 10-15 equal-sized balls before place onto the second greased plate or tray. Cover with a damp tea towel.
- Roll out one ball of dough and wrap it around one ball of the paste and seal the dough around it. Repeat with the rest of the dough and paste.
- Pour enough oil in a pot to fry the doughnuts and heat it up to 150°C.
- Place a batch of the doughnuts into the pot and fry until golden brown in colour. Use a spoon to stir occasionally to ensure that the balls cook evenly and don’t stick to the bottom.
- When the doughnuts have cooked, transfer them from the oil to some paper towels to drain while they cool down.
- When the doughnuts have cooled down, coat them with caster sugar and serve!