For the Caramel Sauce
- In a saucepan, dissolve sugar and 100ml water over low heat. Let it simmer for 10 mins and when the sauce starts to thicken and turns dark brown, turn off heat. Carefully add 2 tbsp of boiling water and stir to slightly thin out the sauce (mixture might splatter due to the heat).
- Pour the caramel into 7-8 ramekins. Set aside and let the caramel thicken naturally.
For the Custard
- Combine 10g of gelatine powder and 60 ml of water and let it stand for 1 minute. Then microwave on high for 30-40 seconds and stir. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 200ml milk over medium heat until the milk is warm to the touch. Add the warm milk to the egg yolk while whisking constantly. Furthermore, add gelatine mixture and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Strain the mixture to get a smooth creamy texture. When done, add the remaining 200 ml milk and vanilla extract and continue to whisk it all together.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and over the hardened caramel sauce. Cover the ramekins and steam for about 10-15mins or until they start to jiggle and not liquid.
- Cool ramekins till room temperature, transfer to fridge and chill for minimum 3 hours.
- To serve, run a small sharp knife around the edge of each ramekin to loosen the custard. Invert a plate over the ramekins and flip over quickly. The purin should slide out, otherwise tap the bottom of the ramekins to push it out.
- Top the purin with fruit slices or berries and whipped cream and serve cold.