- Line a 15cm cake pan (non loose base) with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven at 100°C.
To Make Cheese Batter
- Fill a small pot with hot water to half full and turn on medium heat.
- In a glass bowl, add in cream cheese, butter and milk, then place the bowl over the pot to heat the cheese with the steam. Gently and slowly whisk the ingredients until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool until 50°C or below, then mix in the egg yolks until smooth.
- Add in cake flour and matcha powder and continue to mix well until no clump left. Pour into a big bowl and set aside.
To Make Meringue
- In a separate bowl, pour in the egg white and brown sugar, use a electric beater to beat the mixture until it has a soft firm peak.
To Make Cheesecake
- Add half the meringue into cheese batter and gently mix them together, then add the remaining half and mix gently again. Use a spatula to make sure the bottom and sides are mixed thoroughly. Don’t over mix the batter but enough that the mixture is well mixed through.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake pan. Bang the cake mould on benchtop once to remove any big bubbles.
- Line a deep, larger baking tray with cloth and place the cake mould onto it. Pour warm water into the baking tray up to 2cm high.
- Place the cake mould with water bath into the oven and bake for 1 hr, then 17 mins at 160°C.
- Once the top of the cake is slightly golden brown, remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- To remove the cake from mould, place a baking paper and a flat plate on top, then turn it upside down. Gently remove the mould and the liners. Place another flat plate on the bottom of the cake and gently flip it back upright.
- If serving immediately, dust the cake with icing sugar and matcha powder for garnish (optional).
- Otherwise, let chill overnight in fridge for a cold cheesecake (do not dust icing sugar and matcha powder).