To Prepare Japanese Braised Pork Belly
- Slice pork belly into ¾” thick strips and cut into 4”pieces.
- Heat up a frying pan with ½ tbsp oil and sear pork pieces for 8-10 mins or till slightly brown.
- Remove pork pieces and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- In a stew pot heat up about 1 litre water enough to cover pork pieces together with ginger slices and spring onions. Once boiled, turn to low heat and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Remove pork piece from stew pot and cut them into 1 ½“ pieces.
- In a separate pot (preferably non stick) bring to boil 2 cups of water, sake, soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Place pork pieces into pot and let them simmer under low heat.
- Put a drop lid (or a plate wrapped with foil) to ensure pork pieces are submerged in the boiling sauce.
- Simmer till sauce is reduced which takes about 1 hour.
- Garnish with some chopped spring onions and serve immediately.