- In a pot, bring the 1L of water to a rolling boil. At this point, remove the pot from the heat and in a heavy bottom saucepan, cover, and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove the pot from the heat. Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and set aside while you pour in the tap water to slightly cool the boiling water.
- Gently place the eggs in to the water and allow to slowly cook for approximately 13 mins while kept covered.
- While the eggs cook, combine the dashi, mirin, and soy sauce in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. When the sauce begins to boil, add in the katsuobushi and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Allow for the katsuobushi to sink in to the sauce before putting it through a strainer and setting it aside.
- Cut spring onions into thin slices and set aside.
- When the eggs have cooked, remove them and allow them to cool for approximately 5 mins.
- To plate, crack the egg open in to a small bowl and pour the sauce over; garnish with chopped scallion and serve!