- For the Vietnamese coriander, basil, and mint pick all the leaves off of the stalks.
- For convenience, all the herb leaves should be cut using Chiffonade method. That is to stack a bunch of leaves together and gently roll into a cigar shape and slice thinly from end to end.
- Finely slice all of the non-leafy herbs (ginger, torch ginger flower, shallots and galangal).
- Deep fry the salted fish in some oil until crispy and golden, then shred with a knife.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the dried shrimps until broken up into fine pieces. Dry fry the dried shrimps in a wok or pan until aromatic.
- Toast the grated coconut in a pan until golden brown and then pound with a mortar and pestle.
- Add all the prepared ingredients in a large bowl together with the rice and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt and sugar to taste and serve immediately.