- For the pork marinade, combine water, sugar, fish sauce, garlic and shallot together in a small bowl.
- Slice the pork shoulder into 2 inch by 2 inch pieces. Add half the marinade in the minced pork and the other half in the sliced pork shoulder.
- For the ground pork, add the roasted rice powder and form into golf-ball size patties.
- Marinate the pork for at least 30 min or overnight.
- Cut the papaya, remove the seeds and slice thinly. Add salt to papaya and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then rinse the salt off under cold running water. Squeeze out the water in the papaya. Pat dry and set aside.
- Mince garlic cloves and shallots.
- Prepare the bean sprouts by cutting off heads and tails, mint, chillies deseeded and sliced.
- Prepare vermicelli as per packet instructions.
- Prepare the dipping sauce, combine the hot water and sugar. Mix until dissolved. Add lime, garlic, chillies, fish sauce, coconut soda.
- Grill the pork over charcoal fire for a more authentic taste. You can also bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 min. Make sure to flip and rotate to evenly cook the pork. Let it rest for 10 min.
- When you are ready to serve, add a single portion of meat to a small bowl. Ladle on the sweet papaya chili sauce on the meat. Then serve with a side of rice noodles and top it with fresh Vietnamese herbs.