- The chicken will be placed inside and around the lemongrass stalk.
- Cut the lemongrass stalk to about 15 cm long starting from the base. Prepare the lemongrass net to hold the chicken by using a narrow sharp knife and poke the knife into the lemongrass 1½ cm above the root end and push the knife completely through the lemongrass stalk.
- Slice 300g of chicken thinly in a vertical direction and then cut horizontally into smaller pieces. Put the chicken pieces into a bowl.
- Cut another 300g of chicken into small pieces and put them into a food processer to make chicken mince.
- Mix both chicken pieces and chicken mince in the same bowl and put it aside.
- Prepare the spice paste by putting the garlic, coriander roots, lemongrass, black and white pepper and ¼ tsp of turmeric powder into the mortar. Then using the pestle crush all spices into the paste. Then put all paste into the bowl with the chicken.
- Season the chicken with fish sauce, ABC Sweet Soy Sauce and oyster sauce. Mix all ingredients together until mixed through.
- Then put the cling wrap over the bowl and keep it in the freezer for about 30 mins.
- Take the chicken bowl out of the freezer after 30 mins. Wear food gloves and massage the chicken mix and then start making the lemongrass chicken stick.
- Use your left hand to hold the lemongrass and use your fingers to open the cut lemongrass and stuff the small amounts of chicken into the cut lemongrass net. Turn the lemongrass until the net is filled and surrounded by chicken.
- Repeat process until the chicken mix is finished.
- Mix coconut cream with ½ tsp of turmeric powder in a small bowl and have a pastry brush ready for basting the lemongrass chicken while cooking.
- Grill the lemongrass chicken on a medium hot barbecue rack or hot cast iron pan.
- Use the pastry brush to baste on the coconut cream with turmeric to give the chicken a nice colour and flavour.
- Turn the lemongrass chicken sticks while cooking and cook for about 6-8 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the grilled lemongrass chicken with sweet chilli sauce and enjoy.