To Making the Sauce
- Combine mirin and sake in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil to evaporate alcohol.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Then add soy sauce and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat and continue cooking on simmer for 10 mins, or until mixture thickens. Turn off the heat to cool it down.
To Prep the Unagi
- Preheat your oven to broil at 290°C for 3 mins. Meanwhile, cut unagi in half to fit inside your serving bowls. Line the baking sheet with aluminium foil and brush oil lightly
- Put the baking sheet in the middle rack of your oven, and broil on high for 5-7 mins.
- After 7 mins or so, take it out and brush the sauce over.
- Continue to broil for another 30-60 secs until you see bubbles on top of unagi.
- Serve unagi on top of rice and pour/brush more sauce. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Use pre-made/frozen unagi from Asian grocers to shave off half the cooking time!