- Wash the glutinous rice multiple times in water, stopping when the water becomes clear. Leave to soak overnight.
- Line a streamer basket with a cheesecloth and equally distribute the glutinous rice on the cloth. Steam the rice for 15 mins, then turn and fluff it up with a fork and steam for 10 more mins until cooked.
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to boiling point over medium heat and then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the syrup has reduced to half, taking about 15 mins. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Continue to simmer for 3 to 5 more mins and remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan, combine both the glutinous rice and coconut milk mixture, mixing well. Then cook over low heat, stirring form time to time, until the mixture thickens and becomes sticky. After 10 to 15 mins, remove the mixture from the heat and discard the pandan leaf.
- Move the cake to a lightly greased shallow cake skillet or plate (around 17cm over), smoothing the surface with the back of a wet spoon, and put aside to cool. Slice the cake into squares or jewel shapes and serve at room temperature.