- Combine chicken, ginger, garlic, shallot, salt, sugar, chicken stock, fish sauce, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 30 mins.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large saucepan or a wok and sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar over the base.
- Melt the sugar under medium heat until it turns dark amber.
- Quickly add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for about 5 mins on high heat until chicken is no longer pink.
- Then, add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and skim off the foam and some of the floating fat.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 30 mins, uncovered, until the sauce reduces by ⅓.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.