- Heat oil in a small pan over low heat. Gently cook the garlic until lightly golden. Dish out onto paper towels to drain off excess oil. Set aside.
- Remove excess fats from chicken. Rinse and pat dry. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat and throw in onions, garlic and ginger. Stir constantly and cook until softened and fragrant.
- Put in the chicken pieces and continue to stir fry until lightly browned. Pour in fish sauce and let it cook for 2 mins.
- Pour in uncooked rice and stir constantly until lightly browned. Then, add in water and allow to boil. Remove any froth on the surface of the water. Drop in bouillon cubes and stir until dissolved. Bring the fire to a simmer and cook until porridge has thickened. Stir occasionally to keep porridge from sticking to the bottom. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with boiled egg, spring onions and fried garlic bits. Serve with a side of calamansi lime or lemon.