- Make sure that the fish is properly cleaned (scales, guts, gills, etc. to be removed), thoroughly rinsed and then pat dry.
- Place the fish on a plate and drizzle 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine on top of the fish. Then spread half of the finely cut ginger strips onto the top of the fish.
- Prepare a wok or steamer and heat up enough water for steaming. As soon as it boils, place your plate of fish inside the wok on top of a steamer rack or on the steamer. Cover your wok or steamer tightly and steam it for 8 mins for a small fish, and a couple more mins for a bigger fish.
- While waiting for the fish, in a small bowl, mix the soy sauce mixture and set aside.
- As soon as the fish is done steaming, transfer it out from the wok or steamer. Drain and discard the fish water and ginger strips. Lay the remaining fresh ginger strips over the top across the fish.
- Using a separate pan, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil over high heat, swirl around until it’s hot. Pour the hot oil over the steamed fish. Put the pan back onto the stove, add the soy sauce mixture and stir well. As soon as the sauce boils, pour the soy sauce over the fish.
- Top the fish with a handful of spring onions and coriander leaves and serve the steamed fish immediately with steamed white rice.