- Combine water, baking powder and baking soda in a jug and stir well to activate.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add in salt, egg white and activated baking powder and baking soda water into sifted flour. Stir to mix well.
- Knead the dough for 5mins then cover and leave to rest for 30mins.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and knead the dough for a second time for 2mins. Cover with cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Once the dough has rested, remove dough and knead for a few mins on a floured surface till smooth and pliable. Cut into 2 portions.
- Roll out both portions into a rectangular slab to about 5mm thick.
- Cut into 10cm x 4cm strips.
- Use a bamboo stick and press down onto the centre (lengthwise) of the strip creating a groove without cutting through. Add another strip on top and press the bamboo stick over lengthwise again. Cover and rest while waiting for the oil to heat up.
- Fill 2⁄3 wok with oil and heat.
- Test to see if oil is ready with a bamboo chopstick. Dip the tip into the oil, if it bubbles rapidly, then the oil is hot enough.
- Before placing the dough into the oil, gently pull both ends of the dough (to elongate) just long enough to still fit in the wok and drop in gently.
- Using a pair of chopsticks, keep turning the dough until it rises to the surface and has turned golden brown. Remove dough from wok and place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Then serve.