- Tenderise chicken breast using the back of the knife, or pound with a meat tenderiser.
- Cut meat into strips and marinate with salt, black pepper, sake and Japanese soy sauce. Add grated garlic and ginger and mix well to season the chicken.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Then, set a smaller bowl over the ice water. Add egg to the second bowl and whisk. Gradually add cake flour and potato starch and whisk until well combined.
- Carefully coat the chicken pieces with the batter.
- Heat 4-5 cm of oil in a pot or frying pan. Use a bamboo chopstick to test the oil. If the oil is hot enough, there will be a steady stream of bubbles surrounding the chopsticks. Add small batches of 2-3 pieces of battered chicken to cook at one time. Deep-fry until golden brown. Then, repeat until all the chicken pieces are used up.
- Serve toriten in a baking paper lined basket with shredded cabbage, ponzu sauce and Japanese hot mustard on the side.