To Prepare Shio Tare
- Place kombu and dried shrimps in a saucepan and let them soak for 1 hour.
- Boil them on low heat and remove kombu when water starts to steam. Let the dried shrimps simmer for 10 mins. Strain and return water to a saucepan.
- Add in salt, sake and mirin and cook till salt dissolved. Let it cool down and add in rice vinegar.
To Prepare Chicken Broth
- Fill a deep stockpot with water, kombu, chicken wings, ribs and bones from drumsticks and breast and bring to a simmer.
- Remove kombu when water starts to steam.
- Once the water starts to boil, turn to low heat and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Add in mushrooms, onion and carrot and simmer for another 2 hours.
- Switch off fire, toss in bonito flakes, and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Strain broth into another stockpot and discard the solids.
To Prepare Chicken Charshu
- Debone the chicken Maryland (thigh & drumsticks together) and roll them into a roulade tying it with butcher’s twine with the skin facing out. Do the same for the breast meat.
- Cook the chicken Maryland roulade in the chicken broth for 12-15mins and the chicken breast for 15-18 mins. Remove from chicken broth and let it cool.
- In a sauce pan heat up tamari, dark soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar.
- Place chicken Maryland roulade in and coat the sauce and let it cook for 5 mins. Turn it constantly to make sure the entire roulade is well coated. Let it cool down and keep in the fridge till needed.
- Chill the chicken breast in the refrigerator without coating it with sauce.
To Prepare Chicken Oil
- Place chicken fats and cooking oil in a small saucepan and cook on low heat.
- Add in spring onions and let them simmer for 10-15 mins or till chicken fats has rendered.
- Strain and set aside.
To Assemble Chicken Shio Ramen
- Cook ramen as per instruction on the packaging.
- In the serving bowl, place 2tbsp of shio tare (add more if prefer a deeper flavour) and 1 tsp of chicken oil. Add in 1.5 cups of hot chicken broth. Add in ramen.
- Garnish ramen with chicken charshu, ajisuke, corn kernels, wakame, spring onions and nori.