To Make Dough
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer for 1-2 mins, or until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon extract, then gradually add the flour while mixing on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as you go.
- Place the dough onto a clean work surface and knead it by pressing small amounts away with the heel of your hand for 1- 2 mins. Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder over one of the dough and knead the dough until well mixed.
- For each dough portion, place it between 2 sheets of cling wrap or baking paper. Use a rolling pin to shape each dough into 18cm squares, about 1cm thick. With a ruler and sharp knife, slice each square to 2cm-wide long strips.
To Make Cookies
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place plastic wrap on work surface. Place 1 white dough strip between 2 strips of chocolate dough strips on the plastic. Brush the egg wash on the top and in between the strips. Press the strips together gently.
- Add the second layer by alternating the colours and brush the egg wash, repeat again to finish the third layer with 2 chocolate strips and 1 white strip again. Wrap the dough log in plastic.
- Repeat the steps for another log, starting with 2 white strips and 1 chocolate strip. Place in the fridge for 30 mins, or freeze for 15 mins.
- Slice each cookie log into 5-6mm thick and place them on the lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 mins, or until cooked. Remove from oven and to cool for 2 mins. Place the cookies on a wire rack until completely cooled. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.