To Prep the Fillings
- Firstly, cut avocado into half, pit and scoop out with a spoon and slice to 0.5cm thick slices. Squeeze lemon juice over avocado to prevent browning.
- Then cut cucumber into thin long strips, and slice to remove cucumber seeds.
- In a bowl, add crab meat and Japanese mayonnaise, and mix well.
- Trim nori sheet according to intended size of the California Crab Maki Roll.
Assembling the sushi:
- To prevent rice from sticking to the bamboo mat, wrap mat with cling film.
- Tip: Also, rub both hands with mayonnaise before handling rice to prevent them from sticking.
- On the bamboo mat, lay one nori sheet down and spread about 1 cup of rice evenly onto the nori sheet. Use your fingers to press and push to rice to form an even layer of rice.
- Sprinkle the rice with toasted sesame seeds.
- Then, turn the nori sheet over so that the rice now faces down towards the bamboo mat. Align the edge of the nori sheet to the bottom of the bamboo mat.
- Add crab meat and arrange avocado and cucumber in a row, close to the bottom of the nori sheet.
- Then, pull up the bottom edge of the mat, while using your fingers to roll and tuck the fillings in. Lift the mat slightly to go over the roll, and continue rolling forward while keeping a firm hold.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into equal portions. To ensure a clean cut every time, keep a damp cloth handy and clean the knife after every cut.
- Serve up your California Crab Maki Rolls on a platter or, stack them up and decorate your very own Sushi Christmas Tree as shown in the video below!