- Soak the trotters in cold water for over 4 hours or overnight and shave the hair if needed.
- In a large pot, bring water to boil (adjust amount to cover the trotters) and add coffee powder. Place the pork trotters into the pot.
- Bring back to boil and let boil for 10 mins. Remove the trotters and rinse with cold water to remove blood and scums.
- Place all broth ingredients into a clean pot. Insert all spices into a stock bag and tie tightly to seal, then place into the pot. Mix well for the sugar to rice syrup to dissolve.
- Add in the clean pork trotters and bring to boil over high heat without cover. Cook for 30 mins, then cover with lid and lower the heat to medium, simmer for 1-2 hrs (depending on size of trotters). Stir from time to time. If the broth gets too thick, add ¼ cup water. Optional: Add 1 tbsp rice syrup for gloss.
- Remove pork trotters and let cool for 15-30 mins. Remove meat from the bone and slice thin.
To Make Spicy Pork Trotters
- Combine all spicy sauce ingredients and bring to boil over high heat. Then reduce to simmer for 10 mins.
- Toss the meat in the sauce and spread evenly on a baking tray lined with foil. Broil high for 3-4 mins each side.
- Plate half original and half spicy pork trotters onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions and garnish with lettuce. Serve with salted shrimp sauce.