- In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (ginger, galangal, garlic, palm sugar, five spice powder and fish sauce) and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Place meat into bowl and coat with spice mixture. Set aside to marinate for 25 mins.
- Using a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil on a high heat. Add in garlic, shallot and lemongrass and stir for 3 mins until the shallot becomes translucent.
- Place the beef in the pot and brown on each side. Reduce heat to medium, add tomato paste and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add to the pot the star anise, chilli powder, paprika, white pepper, water and coconut water. Simmer for 60 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the hour is up, add in the chiu chow oil, soy and carrots. Continue cooking for another 35-40 mins.
- Prepare the egg noodles according to the packet instructions, then divide between 4 bowls.
- Remove the star anise from the soup then carefully ladle mixture over the noodles, ensuring there is a generous amount of beef and carrots.
- Top the soup with Thai basil, coriander, sliced shallot and lime.